4 Backyard Projects to Tackle this Spring
Spring is the perfect time to step outside and enjoy the warmer weather. However, before fully embracing the season, it's important to ensure your backyard is ready for it. Whether you want to create a relaxing oasis, a functional outdoor space for entertaining or simply focus on some DIY projects, there are plenty of ideas to transform your backyard into a beautiful and practical space. In this article, we’ll explore some backyard projects that you can tackle this spring so that you can spend your time admiring your work and reaping its benefits as the warmer months roll in.
1. The Fence
The long winter months filled with messy weather can leave many outdoor surfaces looking worse for wear once the spring arrives – that includes the fence. Take some time to inspect your fence thoroughly. Look for weakened areas, missing caps, mildew, and signs of rot. If you notice a few sections that are damaged, have them repaired. It’s also a good time to give the fence a thorough washing to get rid of dirt and apply a stain to reseal the wood. If the fence is too far gone, you may need to get it replaced.
A fence is not just a functional part of your backyard. It can also be an aesthetic addition that complements your landscaping and adds curb appeal to your property. Therefore, when it comes to sprucing it up this spring, there are many ideas to consider before repair and replacement, including the following:
- Painting: You can add some personality to your fence by painting it a bold colour or anything that speaks to you. There are different ways you can do this — match the exterior of your home or opt for a contrasting hue to make a statement.
- Add decorative elements: Add some hanging baskets, outdoor art, mosaics, or hooks to hang your tools or bird feeders. Just make sure it’s on your side of the property.
- Make use of greenery: A fun way to elevate your fence game is to incorporate climbing plants. Put up some trellises, and watch the magic happen!
2. Veggie Garden
If you’ve been dreaming of harvesting your own veggies in your backyard, why not make this the year that you do it? There’s no better time than now to start a veggie garden project. Even if you have a smaller yard, you can take advantage of pots or create elevated garden beds out of wood. There are tons of helpful tutorials online that will show you everything you need to get started step by step. Here are some ideas to help you begin this project:
- Companion planting: This is a technique where you plant different types of crops together to benefit each other. For example, planting basil with tomatoes can improve both plants' flavour and growth pattern.
- Vertical gardening: This is the perfect option if you have limited space in your backyard. As mentioned above, you can make this the next step of your fence project by adding trellises or hooks for hanging baskets.
The Ultimate Chill-Out Zone
With so much stress in the world today, it’s important to create a space at home that can bring you joy and comfort. A fun and rewarding backyard project you could consider is a chill-out zone. This could be in a cozy corner of your deck, patio or lawn surrounded by plants, lights, comfy furniture for lounging, on or even a hammock. Think about what you like and create a nook where you can relax, unwind and just enjoy being outside. For extra privacy, consider setting this zone up near a taller part of your fence or in an area shaded by trees.
An Entertainment Area
Springtime is ideal for creating epic outdoor entertainment. Think about sprucing up the barbecue area, updating your patio furniture, or adding a fire pit so you can make the most out of the summer season this year. Some other ideas to consider include:
- Adding an outdoor kitchen
- Installing a sound system
- Creating an outdoor movie theatre by setting up a screen on your fence for projection
Getting Help for Your Backyard Projects
With a bit of creativity and effort, you can take your backyard to the next level and create a space that you and your family can enjoy all season long. At Ideal Fence, we understand the importance of a well-maintained and functional fence for your outdoor space. Contact us today so we can help you with all your fence-related needs, including repairs, maintenance, and installations.